NPR-All Things Considered, For Some Boston Bombing Victims, Psychological — Not Physical — Wounds LingerRead more
About Manya Chylinski
“What if I’m not #BostonStrong?”
Manya Chylinski is a survivor of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.
Manya’s life was violently altered, along with the lives of hundreds of others, while a spectator at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 13, 2013. Without physical injuries, she returned to her daily life where she struggled with fear and anxiety. It took recognizing that she was not merely a witness but also a victim for her to get real help.
How do you help the invisible victims of mass violence like the Boston Marathon bombing? As a speaker and a writer, Manya’s mission is to spread the word about how some survivors of mass violence appear unharmed but actually experience very real mental health injuries.
- Motivation / Inspiration
- Overcoming adversity
- Healing from trauma
- Resiliency in business
- Emergency preparendess / Crisis communications
Her goals are to share what she has learned as a survivor, to educate people about mental health injuries from mass violence, and to spread the word that psychological trauma is a normal response to an abnormal event like a bombing.
Get in touch! How can I help your organization or conference reach its goals?
- PA Governor's Emergency Preparedness Summit (2017)
- APCO International Conference (2017)
- National Homeland Security conference (2017)
- New Jersey Emergency Preparedness Conference (2017)
- 2017 Virginia NENA-APCO Spring Conference
- Michigan NENA conference
- 2017 Texas Public Safety Conference
- Pennsylvania APCO Annual Conference (2017)
- Missouri Public Safety Communications Conference (2017)
- The International Crisis and Risk Communication (ICRC) Conference (2017)
- American Counseling Association conference (2017) (with Dr. Keith Sutton of the Institute for the Advancement of Psychotherapy)
- 2016 Nebraska APCO/NENA Conference
- 2016 APCO-Atlantic Chapter and New York State 911 Coordinators joint conference
- International Association of Business Communicators (2014 and 2015)